Some key areas of focus include:
- Reforming bail and mandatory sentencing laws which contribute to high rates First Nations People being incarcerated.
- Raising the age of legal responsibility in all States and Territories to at least 14 to reduce the numbers of First Nations children in detention.
- Addressing the housing crisis and improving social security for First Nations Peoples.
- Reinvesting funds from the costly and ineffective prison system into social programs that address the underlying causes of violence and detention of First Nations Peoples.
Learn more about the issues and get the conversation started with the following Resources:
- Campaigning for Justice Toolkit: Practical guidance to support conversations around First Nations justice issues including useful links to a range of external resources.
- Death’s in Custody: Up to date analysis, current statistics and profiles of some of the First Nations People who have died in custody since the 1991 Royal Commission.
- Incarceration Nation: ANTAR analysis and links to the groundbreaking documentary to watch and share.
Sign this Pledge to demand that Australia does more to Change the Record.
Visit our partners at Change the Record for more.
Visit the Campaign