We've exceeded our initial target of 5,000. Help us get to 10,000!
Thanks to supporters like you we now have 7,706 signatures. Help us get to 10,000 to really put pressure on government to act! Sign now and share with your friends!
We call on:
The Prime Minister, Opposition Leader and other political leaders to commit urgently to a referendum to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Constitution and ensure there is no place for racial discrimination in it.
This commitment needs to include:
- Setting a date for a referendum, to be held no later than Saturday 27 May 2017 (the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum);
- Announcing a timetable and process for the finalisation of the words to change the Constitution that will be put to the people in a referendum;
- An undertaking that those words will be meaningful and address the lack of recognition in the Constitution and address racial discrimination;
- An agreement to consult with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples about those words; and
- An agreement that the political parties will work together and continue the multiparty support for this change so a referendum unites, not divides, the nation.
We call on Australia's political leaders to commit to these steps before the end of this year.