Choose the number of hands to suit your design, needs and budget.
The hands are loaned to schools, universities, community groups, organisations and businesses in boxes of 200. Mixed boxes with all colours, or single colour boxes are readily available. Hands are in the colours of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flags. (Red, Yellow, Black, White, Blue and Green). Metal posts for planting the hands into the ground are included.
For an installation to appear at its best we suggested 16-20 hands per square metre. Meaning an 800 hand installation would cover 40sq metres ie. 6.33m X 6.33m.
Think about the design you want to use and the ratio of colours.
- Recreate the iconic design that toured Australian in 1998 and 1999. Pictured. EASY: Make it as large as you like using mixed boxes of Hands.
- The Aboriginal Flag: EASY
- The Torres Strait Islander Flag: MEDIUM, note the Dhari can be challenging to get right.
- Seek an original design from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students, their families, communities or local artist: MEDIUM to HARD. Discuss with the artist the colours and size requirements above, before they start work.
Optional extra participation in the event
We provide a template to print notes, or cards can be attached to the Hands, for participants in your installation to write their name or personal messages of support for reconciliation, rights and justice. The cards are temporarily attached and must be removed before hands are returned to ANTaR. Note labels / stickers are difficult to clean from the hands so we do not permit them. Also, please do not write directly on the hands in any permanent or non-permanent marker.
The Sea of Hands is delivered and collected
We include the freight costs in the hire fee and use reliable couriers. We allow for the hands to arrive a couple of days before the event and be collected a couple of days after. Please note that the repacking instructions need to be followed carefully prior to returning the Hands. This includes cleaning and removing hands from the posts, which greatly reduces the work at our end and is much appreciated. When your hands are ready for collection, contact us and we will arrange the courier pickup at your convenience, and send you the tracking lables to attach.
Further resources and help available
We provide a 'How to’ guide to help you plan and get the most out of your event, including:
- Instructions for installations such as creating the flags
- Suggested additional activities
- Tips and tricks we’ve learned from 20+ years of installations, to help yours run smoothly
- Additional resources helpful in lesson planning for schools
We wish we could send the Hands around the country for free but there are freight charges, storage and upkeep of the hands that need to be covered. Corporate rates support ANTaR's advoacy work for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Slander rights and justice.
Book Hands Up! for National Close the Gap Day, National Reconciliation and/or NAIDOC Week, to launch or promote a Reconciliation Action Plan, or at any time throughout the year to support reconciliation and show solidarity.
- Puddle of 200 Hands (community rate): $350 incl GST
- Puddle of 200 Hands (government rate): $600 ex GST
- Puddle of 200 Hands (corporate rate): $1000 ex GST
- Pond of 400 Hands (community rate): $550 incl GST
- Pond of 400 Hands (government rate): $1200 ex GST
- Pond of 400 Hands (corporate rate): $2000 ex GST
- Lake of 800 hands (community rate): $950 incl GST
- Lake of 800 hands (government rate): $2400 ex GST
- Lake of 800 hands (corporate rate): $4000 ex GST
Payment in full must be made before the Hands are loaned. We can issue a tax invoice or a tax receipt for credit card payments and EFTs.
For 25 years the Sea of Hands has lived on through community installation events. We hope your group will be the next to join in.
Make your booking today, boxes are limited and do sell out particularlty at busy times such as Reconciliation week and NAIDOC week. It is a good idea to complete the form to reserve your hands, you can always change your booking details at any time by contacting ANTaR.