Close the Gap - Media Release
The Close the Gap Campaign has welcomed the quarantining of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programmes from further cuts in the 2015–16 Budget but says the pain and uncertainty around last year’s Budget cuts still linger.Read(pdf 347.88 KB)
Change the Record Media Release
The National Justice Coalition today expressed concern that the Budget failed to include the targeted investment needed to change the record on the crisis levels of imprisonment and violence currently being experienced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.Read(pdf 337.42 KB)
ANTaR - Media Release - Unfair Budget has left Indigenous Affairs adrift
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander rights advocacy organisation ANTaR said that tonight’s Budget failed the test of addressing the uncertainty, upheaval and cuts in Indigenous Affairs from the past 12 months.Read(pdf 92.05 KB)
Close the Gap Position Paper on Federal Budget
The Close the Gap Campaign believes that the Federal Budget 2015-16 should quarantine the Close the Gap funding against any further reductions and contain the following:
1) Address the measures creating a potential negative impact on Closing the Gap from the Federal Budget 2014-15.
2) Implementation of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan
3) Building the capability of the ACCHS sector
4) Funding national and jurisdictional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health organisations
5) Agreements with the states and territories
6) The Indigenous Advancement Strategy (IAS) should reinstate the $534.4million over five years cut from last years budget.
7) A commitment not to close remote communities
8) Maintain five year census schedule
9) Review of contract mechanisms moving to preferred rather than competitive.
10) Adequately resource the National Disability Insurance Scheme
11) Quarantine National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention Strategy from any further budget cuts.Read(pdf 481.66 KB)