For more than a decade now, Australians from every corner of the country, in schools, businesses and community groups, have shown their support for Close the Gap by marking National Close the Gap Day on the third Thursday of March each year.
This National Close the Gap Day, we have an opportunity to send our governments a clear message that Australians value health equality as a fundamental right for all.
On National Close the Gap Day we encourage you to get involved and host an activity in your workplace, home, community or school.
Our aim is to bring people together to share information, and most importantly, to take meaningful action in support of achieving health equality for First Nations Peoples.
How to get involved in National Close the Gap Day
- Register your activity. You can download some online resources to support your event
- Invite your friends, workmates and family to join you
- Take action by signing the Close the Gap pledge and asking your friends and colleagues to do the same
- Call, tweet or write to your local Member of Parliament and tell them that you want them to Close the Gap
- Listen to and share the stories of First Nations people on social media
- Share your photos and stories on social media useing the hashtags #ClosetheGap #ClosetheGapDay
- Donate to help our work on Close the Gap
With events ranging from workplace morning teas, sports activities, school events and public events around the country — tens of thousands of people take part each year to make a difference.