Choose the number of hands to suit your design, needs and budget.
The hands are loaned to schools in boxes of 200. Mixed boxes with all colours, or single colour boxes are readily available. Hands are in the colours of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flags. (Red, Yellow, Black, White, Blue and Green). Metal spikes for planting the hands into the ground are already attached.
For an installation to appear at its best we suggested 16-20 hands per square metre. Meaning an 800 hand installation would 40sq metres ie. 6.33 m X 6.33 m.
Think about the design to use and the desired ratio of colours.
- Recreate the iconic design that toured Australian in 1998 and 1999. Pictured. EASY: Make it as large as you like using mixed boxes of Hands.
- The Aboriginal Flag: EASY
- Seek an original design from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students, their families, communities or local artist: MEDIUM to HARD. Discuss with the artist the colours and size requirements above, before they start work.
- The Torres Strait Islander Flag: MEDIUM, note the Dhari can be challenging to get right.
Optional extra student participation in the event:
We can provide cards, which are easily attached to the Hands, for students to write their name or personal messages of support for reconciliation and the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The cards are temporarily attached and must be removed before return to ANTaR. Note labels / stickers are difficult to clean from the hands so we don’t permit them any more.
We suggest that after classroom activity supporting your Sea of Hands event, you ask the children to write their name and message on the card. When it comes to the day of the Hand Plant encourage them to take photos with their Hand and message as a keepsake.
The Sea of Hands is delivered and collected from your school:
We include the courier costs in the hire fee and use a reliable courier service. We allow for the hands to arrive a couple of days before the event and be collected a couple of days after. Note Hands need to be cleaned and attached to spikes before being packed up and the boxes need be to labeled with ANTaR's return address. You can save money by arranging to collect and return the hand to ANTaR’s local office in your State.
Further resources and help available:
We provide a further ‘how to’ guide for schools to help you plan and get the most out of your event. This includes:
- Detailed templates of simple Sea of Hands installations
- Suggested activities
- Tips and tricks we’ve learned from 20 years of installations, to help yours run smoothly
- Additional resources helpful in lesson planning.
We wish we could send the Hands around the country for free but there are freight charges, storage and upkeep of the hands that needs to be covered.
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL:
Book a Sea of Hands visit for The 50th Anniversary of the 1967 Referendum or other events in National Reconciliation Week, by 31 March 2017 and save 30%.
- Puddle of 200 Hands: $350 excl GST (Early Bird price $245)
- Pond of 400 Hands: $550 excl GST (Early Bird price $385)
- Lake of 800 hands: $950 excl GST (Early Bird price $665)
You can also get a 10% discount by collecting and returning the Hands to ANTaR’s office in Surry Hills. NSW Schools Only.
Furthermore, you may wish to fundraise with your local school community to help you create a larger and special Sea of Hands event the whole school can be proud of. We have tools that can help you do this.
Payment in full must be made before the Hands are loaned. We can issue a tax invoice or a tax receipt for credit card payments, funds transfers or cheques.
For 20 years this October the Sea of Hands has lived on through school and community installation events. We hope your school will be the next to join in.
Place a reservation today - It is a good idea to complete the form to reserve your hands, answering the questions as best you can, you can change your plans and update the reservation at any time by contacting ANTaR.