We rate the major parties’ policy platforms on First Nations issues…
In this 2022 Federal Election Scorecard, ANTaR has provided a guide to the policies of the Liberal-National Coalition, the Australian Labor Party and the Greens, in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs. We’ve provided Australian voters with an independent assessment of Federal Election platforms for 25 years, elevating issues of justice, rights and respect for First Nations Peoples.
In early 2022, ANTaR wrote to the major political parties, seeking their policies and election commitments relating to:
1. CLOSING THE GAP – The Federal obligations to the New Agreement on Closing the Gap
2. INJUSTICE AND INCARCERATION – Addressing the injustice of disproportionally high incarceration rates
3. CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM – Including the implementation of the Uluru Statement from the Heart
4. HERITAGE PROTECTION – Ensuring the protection of living culture and cultural landscapes
All three political parties have responded to ANTaR’s request, and these responses are available in full below. In producing this scorecard, we have also drawn upon the existing election platforms and public statements to inform your vote. This scorecard is based on forward-looking, stated election commitments and we are not including standard programs and services (unless they are contentious). We have only highlighted the major policy commitments.
ANTaR recommends close consideration of the policies of the major parties contesting the 2022 Federal Election – and particularly the policies related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. We believe that justice, rights, and respect for Australia’s First Peoples must be a top priority for the next Federal Government and the 47th Parliament of Australia.
- Full response from Liberal National Coalition
- Full response from the Australian Labor Party
- Full response from the Australian Greens